Plenty of people can purchase a house to live in. But how can you leverage that single home into many more real estate deals—enough to achieve financial independence? On today’s episode of The BiggerPockets Podcast we sit down with Amy Arata, a real estate investor and former molecular geneticist who shares how she eventually turned a live-in flip into 40 rental units. Don’t miss Amy’s incredible “people boxes” advice—as it could change the direction of your real estate ambitions forever.
Click here to listen on iTunes.
Listen to the Podcast Here
Watch the Podcast Here
Help Us Out!
Help us reach new listeners on iTunes by leaving us a rating and review! It takes just 30 seconds and instructions can be found here. Thanks! We really appreciate it!
This Show Sponsored By
Check out SimpliSafe Security’s DIY home security systems; an affordable, wireless, cellular, and customizable system that doesn’t require a contract!
Try it today with a discount: simplisafepockets.com
In This Episode We Cover:
- How Amy got into real estate investing
- A successful live-and-flip of their home
- Lead-based paint issues
- Going about tax deductions
- Where they went wrong after their first successful deal
- Their first rental property
- How cash-out refinance works
- How they pulled the trigger on the deal
- Including property management as an expense
- Getting a commercial mortgage
- Amy’s deals and rental properties
- Buying properties at auction
- How Amy funds her deals
- Amy’s criteria for finding properties
- Amy’s average profit per deal
- And SO much more!
Links from the Show
Books Mentioned in this Show
- “In real estate, the number tells the story.” (Tweet This!)
- “Math overcomes fear.” (Tweet This!)
- “The more you do something, the more comfortable you get with it.” (Tweet This!)
- “When people find that you have integrity and you know what you’re doing, they seek you out.” (Tweet This!)